Black Forest Games
Based in Offenburg, Germany
October 23, 2012
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is a blistering hardcore platformer with contrasting worlds. Warp Giana’s vivid dreams to alter your abilities and destroy the twisted creatures lurking within. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams combines the challenge of retro era platforming with graphics that pack a visual punch and tight controls.Fluidly morph between two dynamically different dream worlds to solve puzzles and combat grueling enemies. Players will have to intertwine sweet Giana's twirling jump attack with Punk Giana's hammering dash attack to survive the dualling dimensions.
- Powerful Abilities: Change Giana's personality to unleash her unique abilities - you'll need to control both sides to survive her dreams!
- Intuitive Controls and Smooth Gameplay: Master the tight knit controls to defeat the cunning trials ahead.
- Visual Punch: Giana’s dreamworlds leap off the screen with gorgeous 3D graphics that morph before your eyes.
- Twisted Puzzles: As Giana changes, so does the world around her. Collecting gems and finding secret locations requires strategy and interchanging the two worlds.
- Legendary Soundtrack: Each dream layer has its own music style. Experience a dual crossfading soundtrack by Chris Hülsbeck and Machinae Supremacy!
- More to Discover: There are 7 rich levels across several distinct worlds, each transforming into the two contrasting dreamworlds.
- Epic Boss Battles: Take on gigantic creatures dredged from the depths of Giana’s most terrifying nightmares. Each unique boss has only one thing in common with the others – they’re utterly brutal!
- Gut-wrenching Hardcore Modes: Hardcore and Über Hardcore modes also await players who are full masters of the game and quite possibly insane.
- A remixed “easy” mode for all levels and bosses. The remixed mode is a lot easier to survive than its standard mode. The “easy” difficulty for Giana should roughly correspond to the “normal” difficulty for casual platformer games.
Gameplay Video YouTube
Gameplay Level Walkthrough YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Best Sound, Deutscher Entwicklerpreis 2012"
- "Bestes Kinderspiel, Deutschen Computerspielpreis 2013" http://www.deutscher-entwicklerpreis.de/news/167-alle-gewinner-deutscher-entwicklerpreis-2013
- "Bestes PC-Spiel 2013, Kindersoftwarepreis TOMMI"
- "Bestes Puzzle und Jump'n'Run 2012, DemoNews GOTY-leserwahl 2012" http://www.demonews.de/Artikel-Specials/DemoNews-GOTY-Leserwahl-2012-Ihr-habt-gewaehlt-Die-Spiele-des-Jahres-2012-43035/
- "“The results look absolutely beautiful. It’s a puzzle platformer in which you can control not only the main character, but also the mood of the world you’re in.”"
- John Walker, RockPaperShotgun
- "“Full of vibrant colors and accentuated animations, hearkening back to the days of truly inspired sidescrolling platformers.”"
- Audun Sorlie, Destructoid
- "“The sheer amount of detail and work that went into the graphics do indicate to show you the sheer about of love for this fraaahhh-!”"
- TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit, youtube.com
- "“In the here and now,Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is not only the best-looking platformer, gameplay-wise it's also one of the best of its kind.”"
- Martin Woger, Eurogamer.de
- "“Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is an excellent platformer with an original twist.”"
- Thom Stokkel, Gamer.nl
- "Metascore: 77, User Score: 7.8"
- , metacritic.com
Original Soundtrack on bandcamp.com
by Chris Huelsbeck, Fabian Del Priore chrishuelsbeck.bandcamp.com.
Original Kickstarter Page
This project was successfully funded on August 31, 2012. kickstarter.com.
Original The Great Sisters on Wikipedia
Wikipedia entry for the original Commodore 64 game from 1987. en.wikipedia.org.
Morphing the World in Project Giana
Behind the scene blog post from GSTD technical art director about the morphing feature black-forest-games.com.
Transforming 3D Art in Project Giana
Behind the scene blog post from GSTD technical art director about 3D art black-forest-games.com.
Reddit AMA from 26 Oct 2012
We are the creators of Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams/Project Giana, official sequel to one of the most infamous games of the 80s and one of the first fully-funded German games on Kickstarter. AusA reddit.com.
About Black Forest Games
Founded in 2012, Black Forest Games is an independent game studio focused on high-quality video games. The studio is based in Offenburg, Germany, and currently employs a team of 40 international industry professionals who specialize in building games for all major game platforms.
More information on Black Forest Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Credits
Adrian Goersch, Andreas Speer
Technical Art Director
Borries Orlopp, Stefan Schmitz